welcome. why "weak on sanctification"?

this accusation is often made about lutheran christians. because we focus so strongly on god's justifying grace in christ, and our continual need, as "sinner-saints," to receive god's gifts of grace through word and sacrament, people say we are "weak on sanctification." i prefer to say we are strong on jesus, whose sanctifying work in our lives is the fruit of the gospel all along our lifelong journey. i would much rather focus on what he has done than on anything i might do.

the weekly discussion

each week I set forth a topic to promote discourse about some aspect of Christianity, the church, or the spiritual life. i would love to hear your perspective and thoughts on each week's subject. these discussions are usually posted on mondays, so if you missed this week's post and would like to catch up on the conversation, just scroll down and join us.

November 20, 2009

weekly discussion—nov 20


what do you think of this tactic?


3 comments:

  1. I don't quite understand their logic. Hand out the origin of species but with a anti-origin intro? Who reads the introductions to nonfiction books anyway? I usually don't because they are either unnecessary commentary, or self-promoting.
    I also strongly disagree with Fundamentalism's treatment of YEC as a litmus test of faith. I almost expect YEC to be added to the Creed or something. Oh yeah, that's right. They don't like the Creed either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were being passed out at IU last week. I didn't pick one up, but I did get a chance to glance through the introduction while at a church dinner Thursday night since one of the grad students had a copy. It included the usual arguments--irreducible complexity, the "missing" link, and so forth--which I find rather embarrassing because of the profound misunderstanding about what science is, but that's to be expected. What really shocked me was the biography on Darwin. The writer claimed, essentially, that Darwin was a devout Christian contemplating about ordination until his daughter's death, which made him angry with God, which made him invent evolution. They even included political cartoons of Darwin as a monkey.

    I don't endorse creationism. I don't want to see creationist efforts succeed because I think that they are doing damage to the church. But the ad hominem attacks on Darwin and the speculations about his motivations are a very bad tactic. Creationists, if they were exhibiting the love that Christ preached, could perhaps convince people to suspend their reason and, I guess, stop thinking about the mechanics of the universe. But if I actually felt like I had to choose between the hate-filled diatribe of YEC and the hate-filled diatribe of Richard Dawkins, I know, unfortunately, which I'd choose. So thumbs down on this effort, YEC. Thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is "Here We Go Again..."

    When did the coup go down in Heaven? You know, the one that kicked Christ off His Throne and propped up Young Earth Creationism Uber Alles in His place?

    ReplyDelete